The annual report shares some interesting ratings on all the US based airlines. The first thing I read was that Delta had more pets die on its planes than any other. Not that I ever travel with a pet, but interesting statistic just the same. I just had to share that tidbit. Ranked in order of timely arrivals, baggage handling, overbooked flights, denied boarding, and customer service are:
- Virgin America
- Jet Blue
- Hawaiian Air
- Alaska Air
- US Air
- American Eagle
- Express Jet
- United Airlines
Here are some passenger oriented key points:
- Virgin America comes out on top in terms of timely arrivals, baggage handling and customer service. 83.5% of all flights arrived on time (industry average is 81.8%)
- The second-ranked airline in terms of overall quality was Jet Blue, which posted better than average performance in terms of on-time arrivals, mishandled bags and customer complaints.
- In last place, United Airlines, came in well below average in all categories; 77.4% on-time arrivals, 1.83 denied boardings per 1,000 passengers, 3.87 mishandled bags per 1,000 passengers, and 4.24 customer complaints per 1,000 passengers. Wow, sorry for you all who fly United.
- Hawaiian Airlines has the best on-time performance of all the airlines in the report, at 93.4%.
- American Airlines had the worst, at 76.9%.
- United had the most customer complaints of any airline.
I wish I had more opportunity to fly Hawaiian Air! You can find this report at Forbes.com and on most airline websites.